Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Upgrading GAUI330x-s quadcopter system to DJI Naza

So it's been over a year since my last post, and much has happened. Although I've not written much about the stuff I've been doing, for the most part, I have been taking a great deal of pictures of it all - from installing 3rd-party landing gear, testing a 2/3-axis gimbal kit, flying FPV for the first time, changing the gyro system, not to mention being on my way to a (GAUI) 500x upgrade.

Eventually, I'll try and cover a few of the tings mentioned, but for now, I want to focus on the major completed changes (I haven't completed the 500x upgrade yet - as I want to focus on flight/fpv training). And, yeah, I'll be writing in English from now on.

Changing to DJI Naza

About a month ago, after several months of thinking, I decided to order the new version of DJI Naza (v2). I guess the main reason why is because I felt the need to have some sort of failsafe after I started flying FPV, both from a safety and economical point of view.

The GU-344 (standard gyro system on the 330x-s) has worked like a charm, but after reading about the pros of the DJI Naza, I soon understood that it had more advantages than to offer failsafes (attitude mode, course lock etc.).

I live in Norway, and as there are not many quad/multicopter stores around, I usually buy my stuff from abroad, but after a quick search, I found that a Norwegian RC store I had bought some props from earlier also sold DJI products. The next day, the DJI Naza V2+GPS arrived in the mail (Amazing service by elefun.no), and I was ready to start setting it up.

Setting up the DJI NAZA on the GAUI 330x-s

All right, so this was my set up before changing: Basic GAUI330x-s only with a payload platform and a FPV tx + unofficial 3-way propellers.


Basically what I did was take the GU-344 off, and replace it with the DJI Naza system, but at the same time this meant switching from one module to four, as the Naza version I bought includes both a PMU, a USB/led indicator, the main system/gyro, not to mention the GPS. First of all, I had to stop and think for a while about what would work, but it also meant more sticky foam pads.

This is what I ended up doing.

The gyro/system is placed right where I used to have the GU-344, same goes for my radio tx (which you might notice I've changed to a Turnigy 9X, due to a "small accident") in the middle of the platform, while I've tried to make room for the fpv tx at the right end (looking at its nose).

What you'll not see in the first image is that the radio tx is actually on top of the payload platform, hiding the Naza PMU under it, shown in the second image (not the best pic this either, but the PMU is hidden behind the cables).
The third image shows where I have placed the USB/led indicator as well as the LiPo alarm.

In the air:

The compass/gps calibration was very easy, although I did have to do it couple of time until it was satisfied. I'll write more about the calibration process and Naza software in a  later post.

Questions - post them in the comments!